1-2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (approximately equivalent to one chicken breast half)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalks, chopped
1 onions, peeled and chopped
1 quart chicken stock (organic and low sodium, if possible)
1 cup peas (if using frozen, try to thaw first)
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan (or a stock pot), over a medium heat, add the oil, and then the vegetables. Sauté until the vegetables are cooked through (especially the carrots), 10-15 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add the stock, and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and peas, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings
- The smaller you chop the carrots, celery, and onions, the faster they’ll cook.
- Keep a cup of water by the stove to add, a couple of tablespoons at a time, as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking or burning
- To speed the cooking of the vegetables, put a lid on the pan. But make sure you check it frequently to prevent the vegetables from burning.