These cakes are easier than you’d think to make. Just 3 easy steps:
- Make the chocolate centers at least an hour ahead
- Prepare the batter for the cakes
- Put the batter and chocolate centers in the ramekins, and bake ‘em.
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cake flour
Preheat the oven to 400°
To make the centers:
In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and cream. Whisk together, and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour
To make the cakes:
Spray 6 4 oz ramekins. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter. Whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, combine eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla, on high speed, until the batter is lighter in color and thickened.
- Fold melted chocolate and flour into the egg mixture until just combined. Spoon cake batter into ramekins. Place a chocolate ball into the middle of each ramekin. Don’t press into the bottom of the ramekin.
- Bake for 13-15 mins, or until cake is firm to the touch. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto plates.
Serve with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Makes 6 servings