NOTE: if you’re making this soup with leftover turkey (and turkey stock), skip the step with simmering the chicken pieces. Just add the cooked, cut-up turkey at the end, after the vegetables are cooked.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 120 min
- Ready Time: 2 hour, 20 min
- 8 cups chicken or turkey stock or 4 cups stock with 4 cups water
- 12 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs OR 4 none-in, skinless chicken breast halves (unless you’re using cooked turkey…)
- 1 pound dried green peas
- 4 carrots peeled and diced small
- 2 medium onions peeled and diced small
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, add the chicken and stock. Uncovered, bring to a boil, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 25-35 minutes. When the chicken is cooked, removed from pot, and cool to room temperature.
- Add the dried peas to the hot stock, and simmer, covered, for approximately 1-1 ½ hours, or until the peas are soft and mushy. You might have to add water to the pot if the liquid seems to thick.
- While the peas are cooking, peel and cut the vegetables. Add them to the pot when the peas are cooked through. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- While the veg is cooking, cut or shred the cooked chicken.
- When the veg is cooked, put the cooked chicken back in the pot, and bring back to a simmer. Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper to taste.